Canada Student Visa
Canada is a global leader in providing education and immigration opportunities to students around the globe! It’s easy to understand why so many international students choose Canada; Canadian schools offer quality education with affordable tuition rates and boast one of the highest rates of international student satisfaction in the world! Canadian universities/schools are ranked among the top education institutions in the world.
In this page we will be discussing the following topics to have a better understanding of Canada Student Visa:
- Basics of Canada Student Visa
- What are the eligibility criteria to apply for a Study Permit Visa?
- How to apply for a study permit visa?
- What are the funds required for a student permit visa?
- What steps to follow after the application is approved for a study permit visa?
- What to do after graduation to become a permanent resident of Canada?
- What is the Difference between Canada Student Visa and Canada Study Permit?
Basics of Canada Student Visa
International students who are looking to pursue higher education and want to do graduation or Masters from a recognized educational institution of Canada needs to get their hands on Study Permit. A Study Permit is a document that is issued by Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) allows a foreign national to study in Canada for a limited duration of time.
What are the eligibility criteria to apply for a Study permit visa?
Foreign nationals need to be eligible in order to submit their application for a study permit visa. The requirements for that are as follows:
- Obtain a Letter of Acceptance (LOAs) from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) that gives a pathway to submit an application for a study permit.
- Applicants need to prove that they will be able to support themselves financially to cover the first year of tuition, as well as the other expenses that include living expenses and return transportation to the applicant’s home country.
- In case the applicant wants to study in Montreal or in any area of Quebec province, they need to obtain a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).
- Applicants should have a clean record; meaning that the applicants with a criminal background or posing to have a risk to Canadian security, their application may get rejected. In some cases, IRCC can request for Police Clearance Certificate.
- To prove their good health, the applicant needs to complete a medical clearance examination.
- Needs to satisfy the immigration officer that the applicant will leave Canada at the end of their study permit.
Other than the above-mentioned requirements, applicants need to provide a suitable set of documents. Documents that need to be submitted are as follows:
- Passport for the applicant and every family member that is included in the application
- Must provide two passport photos of the applicants and the accompanying family members, with full name and date of birth written on the back.
- In the case of the married applicant, they need to provide a photocopy of the marriage certificate.
- Also, submit the documents that will be asked by the immigration officer to provide.
For the accompanying family members, the applicant can include them so that they will be able to accompany them to Canada. In case the applicant is moving with their spouse, a spouse may be able to obtain an open work permit, and minor children may be able to study at Canadian elementary and secondary schools.
How to apply for a study permit visa?
When the applicant is able to meet the requirements with the eligibility criteria and has provided with the correct set of documents they can apply for the study permit. The application submission procedure can be done by either online or paper method. A paper application can be submitted to the Visa Processing Office located outside of Canada.
Candidates need to apply for a study permit on an urgent basis as soon as receiving the Letter of Acceptance. Processing time of application for study permits varies and some of them can get delay during the busy times – that is during the summer months.
What are the funds required for a student permit visa?
Applicants applying for student permit visas need to prove their financial sufficiency so that they are able to cover the first year of tuition fees. Other than the tuition fees, applicants must have the funds to support themselves and the accompanying family members, each year. The following table illustrates how funds are required by the students to apply for a student permit visa:
|Number of People||Funds required|
|Single Student||Tuition plus $10,000 for a 12-month period (or $833 per month)|
|For one accompanying family member add||$4,000 for a 12-month period (or $333 per month)|
|For each additional family member, add;||$3,000 for a 12-month period per dependent child of any age (or $255 per month)|
For the students who are looking to pursue an education in Quebec province, financial structure for them is different. In addition to tuition fees, international students have to show the following funds, dependent on their situation:
|Number of People||Funds required|
|1 person under age of 18||$6,377|
|1 person age 18 or older||$12,750|
|2 person age 18 or older||$18,702|
|1 person over age 18 and one under age 18||$17,137|
|2 persons over age 18 and one under age 18||$20,950|
|2 persons over age 18 and two under age 18||$22,611|
These financial resources can be shown with the combination of the following:
- Canadian bank account statements with the applicant’s name, in case the money has been transferred to Canada.
- Proof of student or educational loan from a financial institution.
- Applicant’s bank statements from the past 4 months.
- A bank draft in convertible currency.
- Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees.
- A letter from the person or institution providing you with money
- Proof of scholarship or funding paid from within Canada.
Family members of a friend can also submit letters confirming that will support the applicant during their studies.
What steps to follow after the application is approved for a study permit visa?
Once the application for a student permit visa is accepted, the applicant is provided with the Letter of Introduction (LOI) that confirms their approval. This letter does not work as a student permit visa. This letter needs to be shown to the immigration official when the applicant arrives in Canada. The immigration officer then gives the student a permit visa to the applicant.
In case the applicant is from the country where the citizens need an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) than the eTA is indicated on the Letter of Introduction (LOI). For the applicants who are from the country that needs the TRV (Temporary Resident Visa), it will be in the passport. TRV also indicates if the holder can enter Canada only once (a single-entry visa) or multiple times (a multiple-entry visa). Since 2014, all the TRV’s are considered multiple-entry.
What to do after graduation to become a permanent resident of Canada?
Applicant’s study permit visa expires after 90 days of their graduation. It is very important that international graduates update their status with the IRCC within these 90 days or they might risk losing status in Canada.
Most of the graduates are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This type of work permit allows its holder to work for any employer anywhere in Canada for the duration of three years after graduation. The work experience gained from working in these years will help in applying for Canada PR visa via Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and certain Provincial Nomination Program (PNPs).
In case the immigrants do not apply under PGWP, they can do the following to maintain their legal status in Canada:
- Apply to change the status to a visitor.
- Apply for another study permit to continue a different study program. Example – Graduates may wish to pursue higher education and continue to the Master’s degree program.
What is the difference between the Canada Student Visa and Canada Study Permit?
To tell in laymen terms, Canada Student Visa provides the authorization to enter the country which is a conditional authorization as the officer at the border has the authority to deny the holder entry to the country.
While in case of a Study permit, is giving the holder the authority to stay. It shows the details of the holder’s purpose – Reason, Course level Studying, Duration and if any restrictions in work.
- Student Visa allows entering Canada
- Study permit allows staying in Canada
Why Choose the Best Immigration Consultant – Nationwide Visas?
Following are some of the reasons that make us the best Canadian Immigration Consultant in Industry:
- 100% transparency on the process and eligibility criteria
- Job assistance guaranteed to our clients
- Post landing services
- Consultation by ICCRC lawyers
- 100% Success Rate
- Experience of more than 10000 approved applications
Check your Eligibility for Canada immigration – Fill out our free assessment form and let us tell you how good your chances are of entering Canada with your family and starting a new life in one of the best countries to live in the world.